Snake plants are known to be one of the most poisonous plants around, so it’s no surprise that many pet owners wonder if snake plants are toxic to cats as well.
Although most cats won’t voluntarily eat snake plants, if your cat does eat snake plant leaves, you should immediately watch out for signs of poisoning, including vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy, and drooling.
Read on to learn how to identify the symptoms of toxic snake plant poisoning in cats and what to do if your cat eats a snake plant leaf or two.
What Happens If My Cat Ingests a Snake Plant?
If your cat ingests a snake plant, the most likely outcome is that it will vomit it back up. In some cases, diarrhea may also occur. If your cat is showing any signs of distress, it is best to take them to the vet immediately.
The severity of symptoms depends on how much snake plant your cat ingested and what other items are in their stomach as well.
I would recommend calling a veterinarian if you notice that your pet has eaten part or all of a toxic plant or if you’re not sure if an animal ingested a toxic substance but shows symptoms such as vomiting, difficulty breathing, and/or swelling around the mouth.
When in doubt, err on the side of caution and contact your veterinarian.
When you have a pet, it is your responsibility to ensure that they have access to food and water without consuming items that could harm them, placing toxic plants near dishes of food or water can lead to accidental ingestion by your pet. This can be fatal in some cases.
Always make sure you check around your home for potentially harmful plants and other items before letting your cat or dog play outside.
Never plant or grow any toxic plants around your home or anywhere pets can get to them. Also, keep all potentially harmful chemicals in a place where pets and children can’t reach them.
If you suspect that your pet has ingested a toxin, call your veterinarian immediately for advice.
As with most health issues, prevention is key when it comes to toxicity and both you and your pet will be much safer if you take these steps to avoid accidental ingestion of poisons and other dangerous substances.
How To Keep Cat Away From Snake Plant
- If you have a cat, it’s important to be aware of which plants in your home are toxic to them. Unfortunately, many common houseplants can be harmful to cats if they ingest them.
- One plant that is particularly dangerous to cats is the snake plant. Also known as the mother-in-law’s tongue, this plant can cause serious health problems if your cat eats it.
The leaves and sap contain a substance called thiamine which can lead to mouth ulcers, liver failure, and neurological symptoms such as depression or seizures. Keep your snake plant out of reach from curious kitties! You should also keep other plants with similar dangers away from your furry friend, including ivy and calla lilies. It’s best to avoid these types of plants altogether if you have a cat at home.
- Of course, if you do have a snake plant in your home it’s not too late to take action. To make your plant cat-proof, try placing it high on a shelf or behind something that will prevent your furry friend from reaching it. It’s also important to note that if your cat does ingest a toxic plant, he should be taken to a veterinarian immediately for treatment as soon as possible.
- For more information about keeping your cat away from dangerous plants, talk to your veterinarian or a professional certified in animal behavior. With a little extra attention and care, you can keep your home safe for both you and your kitty!
Common Houseplants That Are Toxic to Cats
Cats are attracted to houseplants because they offer a little bit of greenery and texture in an otherwise safe environment. However, some common houseplants can be toxic to cats if they ingest them. Here are five plants that you should keep away from your feline friend:
You might already know that chocolate and onions are toxic to cats, but several other plants have similar effects.
Here is a list of common houseplants that you should not let your cat play with -1. African violet leaves contain high levels of oxalic acid which can cause vomiting, diarrhea, increased thirst, lethargy, and abnormal breathing patterns.
- Azalea leaves contain cyanogenic glycosides which cause nausea, vomiting, and gastrointestinal irritation.
- Aloe vera sap contains aloin which causes gastrointestinal upset such as nausea or diarrhea. Aloe vera also has laxative properties so it’s best to avoid giving this plant to cats altogether.
- Philodendron leaves contain calcium oxalate crystals which can irritate the mouth and throat causing drooling, coughing, gagging, and possible choking.
- Mistletoe berries have been shown to produce symptoms like reduced heart rate, tremors, vomiting, and depression when ingested by cats.
- Peace lily leaves contain psoralens that may irritate the eyes or skin if touched or ingested by cats. -Cactus needles are sharp and could potentially puncture internal organs.
- Carnations (Dianthus) contain pyrethrins which may lead to hypersensitivity reactions, convulsions, or death.
- Ficus leaves contain hydrocyanic acid which can cause dizziness, blurred vision, headaches, and coma.
Most cats will steer clear of plants if they are inedible, but if you have a feline that is interested in nibbling away at any of these common houseplants, be sure to keep them out of reach.
You can also create a cat-free zone by placing plants on high shelves or behind closed doors. You can use some tape or glue on plant leaves to deter your kitty from trying to eat them.
ALSO SEE: Are Snake Plants Toxic To Dogs?
Common Houseplants That Are Safe for Cats
We all know that cats are curious creatures. So, it’s only natural that you might be wondering if some of your common houseplants are safe for them to be around.
Here is a list of five popular houseplants that are known to be safe for cats:
- Spider Plant
- rubber Plant
- Boston Fern
- Warneck Dracaena
- Peace Lily
If a cat licks this plant and has an adverse reaction, it should consult its veterinarian as the plant may have been treated with chemicals.
If not treated with chemicals, this plant is fine for cats to lick and chew on.
In addition to these plants, there are a few other plants that should be ok if your cat ingests them. If a cat has eaten any of these plants and they don’t experience any symptoms, they don’t need to be taken to an emergency vet right away.
If your cat does react to one of these plants, it’s important to know that most symptoms are mild and self-limiting. The most common side effects include vomiting, diarrhea, drooling, lethargy or depression, dilated pupils, and sometimes difficulty breathing.
Some more serious reactions can happen too such as anaphylactic shock which could lead to seizures or even death. If your cat shows any signs of these severe reactions after ingesting one of these plants then you should take them to the nearest animal hospital immediately.